Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dolls, Inc.

There are a few topics that I am interested in writing about so I am just going to go chronologically and write about the assembly line simulation that we did in class.  About two weeks ago, the students and I experienced one of my favorite lessons of the year.  Rather than simply discuss working conditions in the factories of the early 20th century, I tried to simulate life on an assembly line.  As the students entered the classroom, they were welcomed to their first day on the job at Dolls, Inc., a New York City paper doll manufacturing company.  They then met Robert Grasso, the quality control inspector on the assembly line floor.  Each student was assigned a particular job in the doll making process (head, eyes, nose, etc.).  The students then began drawing their particular section of the doll as the first sheet of paper worked its way down the line.  As they worked, the loud sound of machinery filled the classroom and the room got progressively hotter as time passed (due to the fact that is was the middle of summer and the bosses refused to pay for air conditioning).  We were able to get the room up to 87 degrees.  Talking had to be kept to a minimum as the workers completed their 30 minute shift.  Each doll was inspected at the end of the line to make sure that it met company specifications.  After 30 minutes of constant work, the machines were silenced, the heat was turned off and the class and I debriefed by discussing the pros and cons of an assembly line for both the workers and the company. 

These are the types of lessons that I love to teach.  They are unique, hands-on, and leave an impression in the student's mind.  Not long after the lesson I ran into some of my students from last year.  When I told them about the simulation they immediately could recall what it was like in their class last year (when they worked for the ABC Book Company).  These are definitely the lessons that the students remember.  I hope to continue to use simulations to teach U.S. History as we move forward.  This year we have also simulated the Civil War experience and the immigrant's journey to and through Ellis Island.  My only regret is that I didn't take any pictures that I could post with this blog entry.  I will make sure to do that next time. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.  Any feedback is always appreciated. 

No comments: